Recent Posts

Recommended Rabbit Food

Condo Details

More details that didn’t fit into the “How to Build a Rabbit Condo” video.

Detail plan for cutting the base and 3 shelves from a 4′ x 8′ sheet of 5/8′ plywood

Materials list

Step-by-step, detailed condo construction instructions

If you find this information useful, please make a donation to Vancouver Rabbit Rescue.

Comments

Pingback from How to build a rabbit condo | Build a Rabbit Condo
Time: December 6, 2007, 7:26 am

[…] Condo Details […]

Comment from Rob
Time: April 8, 2008, 10:44 pm

Excellent resource, thankyou very much for the ideas, we are in the process of making one our own, a variation on your suggestions.
I’d be interested to see the condo with the rabbits sleeping quarters in it to see how that works as I am contemplating where to put ours so that we can get to it to clean it properly, yet to be able to provide some rabbit privacy.
We’ll send some pictures for you to add to the site when we’re done!

Comment from leann
Time: April 25, 2008, 4:56 am

How do you attach the shelves and second level? just zip-ties?

I made shelf supports out of the squares, zip-stripped them to the sides, and simply set the shelves onto them.

Comment from Nadia
Time: May 5, 2008, 3:21 pm

Hi Rob,
I just wanted to thank you for sharing this information. Thanks to you, my family has made me a fabulous condo that I can really stretch out in. They couldn’t have done it without you and I love it!

Cheers!
Nadia the Bun

Comment from Stephanie
Time: July 3, 2008, 6:18 am

Hello, ok i want to say first what a great website this is, and your condos look amazing. I recently just built one for my bunny who is not even two years old. And I put roll tile to cover the floors on the first and second level and she slides all over the place, what can i do to make it so she wont slide. Plus she won’t go up to the 2nd level at all. I have built boxes for her to jump up there (i know she can’t jump much higher then the 2nd level) but she just won’t go. Would a ramp help? How would I make one so it’s durable?

Comment from Peter
Time: July 10, 2008, 5:30 am

Excellent idea. We built one for our bunny. What do you do about bedding? We have a litter box with litter and lots of hay scattered throughout. Do you also fill an area with any sort of bedding material? Thanks.

Comment from marika grech
Time: July 14, 2008, 10:33 am

Hello Robert, your plans look great and I am looking forward to start building my new rabbit home. I hope to get one small bunny (dwarf) in September. Can I downsize the plan since I will only be having one bunny? let me know where I can shortcut if possible. thanks. Marika

Comment from Scott
Time: July 27, 2008, 8:08 am

Hi… i love your rabbit condos and i have really been looking for a good plan to build one for ages now 😀 its all rather simple just the flooring and supporting the levels that gets me. but the only problem is the wire cubes are sooo much more expensive here in the uk. the cheapest one i have seen is safco 4 cube set (17 individual pieces) for £37.81 on amazon which is approx… $75!!!!!! and thats just for 17! the uk is such a rip off. i have seen the ones in target which are like $19 summin which is around £10. its ridiculous. anyway am not going to give up. i will build one of these!

Comment from Arielle
Time: August 6, 2008, 1:25 pm

I am totally going to make one of these. I was thinking to build onto my other rabbit’s condo because his condo is much too short for him, but I am thinking that I should make your suggested condo. It looks much nicer. I would really like to know where to put all the supplies and toys, how to clean it, and all of that because it looks a little small in width.

Anyway, Thanks and my rabbit will LOVE it!

Comment from David
Time: August 15, 2008, 8:42 am

Do you sell these?

Comment from sharon
Time: September 30, 2008, 11:18 am

Do you recommend using any bedding at all?

We have inexpensive, washable rugs on all of the levels except the bottom, which has newspapers over the tiles. This is the level where the litterbox is. Inside the litterbox is a layer of wood pellets, along with a supply of hay.

There is also one comfy cushion on the 2nd from the top level, alongside the water bowl.

Comment from sussy
Time: November 20, 2008, 9:54 pm

My bunny has a cage but now it is too small for her. I was thinking in a condo but I’m allergic so my bunny don’t sleep in my bedroom sleep downstears in the living room. I can’t put a condo in there, so I was thinking of buying a large crate dog, but they are too expensive and I want to build one. What are the materials that i need and where can i buy it? how much the materials will cost?

Robert’s reply:
If you scroll up and click on “Materials List” you will see all the materials I used, how much I paid for them and where I purchased them.

Comment from Cece
Time: December 9, 2008, 9:42 am

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding washable carpets for those slippery tiled condo floors that would be safe for our little guy if ingested?

Robert’s reply:
Neither Priscilla nor Red have incisors (front teeth), so they can’t chew rugs or electrical cords, so I have no first-hand experience with ingesting carpets. I have heart that one of the worst causes of rabbits dying of gastric stasis is from swallowing carpet fibers, but I don’t know if that pertains to natural fibers such as cotton and wool. I would think that cotton would not be a problem.

Anyway, we got cheap small, washable rugs at Ikea for $2.99 each (the price has now gone up to $3.99) and we have covered the tiled platforms of the condo with them.

Comment from wendy
Time: December 29, 2008, 4:15 pm

I don’t mean to keep asking but, Where do I get the wire squares for this cage? I’ve looked all over and can’t find them by them selves. I would have to buy a package of 20 plus some kind of piece that puts them together. It cost $40.00 for the set. I would have to spend over 200.00 or 300.00 just on the squares. Any help would be great. Thank you!

Wendy

As stated at http://rabbitcondo.com/materials.htm, we bought 2 boxes of 14″ wire squares (23 per box) at $29.99 each, $59.98 total, at our local Home Depot. They came with plastic fasteners, which we discarded. I have been told the wire squares are not available in the U.K. I have also been told used ones have been seen in “thrift” shops such as Value Village. One of the popular brands is “Neat Idea Cubes” but we did not use that particular brand.

Comment from rhema-reh
Time: February 13, 2009, 12:06 pm

Be careful if you buy the wire tiles from Target. The price is nice and low ($16.99 for a 6 cube kit), but the box contains two different hole sizes: 9 of the proper spacing, and 12 with holes too large to safely use with a small rabbit. I ended up buying 4 boxes (still cheaper than 2 boxes elsewhere), used some of the larger spaced tiles to make shelf supports for my pegboard shelves which I turned upside down to give bunny the good traction side. I also built a pegboard nest box on one of the shelves. The rest of the wire tiles I am using for a nice large outdoor run where he will be supervised so he won’t get his head caught in the larger openings.

Pingback from Peter's Bunny Space » Blog Archive » Bunny Condo
Time: May 5, 2010, 11:52 pm

[…] more research today on Bunny Condos.  I found a great site and video tutorial by rabbitcondo.com.  Another similar condo building video by Tara Burner can be […]

Write a comment